Top restaurant in Japan closes after diners get food poisoning
Investigation after 14 people complained of diarrhoea and stomach pains after eating at Michelin-starred Kita Kamakura Saryo Gentoan
Associated Press in Tokyo
Wednesday 22 June 2016 11.16 BST
A Michelin-starred restaurant in Japan has been closed temporarily after 14 people got food poisoning after an expensive meal.
The Kanagawa prefectural government said officials were investigating after six men and eight women complained of diarrhoea and stomach pains after eating at Kita Kamakura Saryo Gentoan on 11 June.
Among the items on the menu were squid, jelly with sea urchin, pumpkin cooked with fish, eel and sweets, according to the prefecture.
Kita Kamakura Saryo Gentoan, a picturesque restaurant among the trees of Kamakura, a coastal town south of Tokyo, is known for serving meals in quiet Japanese-style rooms.
The restaurant closed on 14 June of its own volition. The prefecture’s order was made on 20 June and remains effective until the cause is determined. Usually, such closures last a few days.